Please read these 6 hints, they are likely to save you a lot of time
- If you are having problems downloading Proof Finder, please try another browser. Proof Finder has been tested on dozens of different versions and types of browsers, but occasionally Internet Explorer will have a problem while Firefox will work fine (or visa versa).
- When initially installing Proof Finder you will see a screen which talks about Dependencies. These are additional software requirements that Proof Finder will check to see if you have installed. (For a full list of additional software, see System Requirements). If Proof Finder detects you do not have a piece of dependent software installed, you will need to click on every highlighted Dependency, one after another, and tick the box saying that you understand the Dependency is missing.
- Many people will initially try to index their own PST file to get a feeling for how Proof Finder works. You will need to CLOSE Microsoft Outlook for this to work. When Outlook is open, it locks the file and Proof Finder cannot process its content. Alternatively, here are some test PST data sets you can download and practice on. You could choose a small PST file from this data for your first test.
- Processing (i.e. indexing) is resource intensive. If your computer is old or lacks resources, please consider NOT ticking:
- Enable exact queries
- Extract named entities
- Store binary of data item
- Enable audit size
- Extract from slack space of mailboxes
These are the most resource-intensive indexing functions. If you do want to include these functions please allow for additional time. As a rule of thumb, depending on the actual data, each of these settings may increase processing time by 5-20%, while extracting from slack space can add considerably to processing time for some data sets.
- When initially testing Proof Finder, use a small data set (maybe just a folder or two in your own PST file - see point 3 above). This will give you more time to understand how Proof Finder works rather than watching the processing screen (which is not exciting at all).
- As mentioned above, processing is resource intensive. It is unlikely that you will be able to use your computer for other activities while processing is underway.
Return to the Proof Finder download page